Antifreeze Warning

Do you know that antifreeze is deadly to cats and other animals?
Yes we need it to keep our cars running, but just a tiny amount can fatal for animals so taking care when using it and storing it is essential.

Antifreeze smells like a potent chemical to us, but to animals it’s very sweet and tasty and they will lick it up if they find it. If you spill any, even the smallest amount, clean it up immediately making sure you’ve rinsed it all away and make sure you keep antifreeze bottles in closed cupboards with the lids on tight.

Get rid of unwanted antifreeze responsibly. Don’t just tip it down the sink, find out the best place to take it so it can be recycled or disposed of safely. Contact your local household waste recycling site for advice. If you’re not sure where that is, contact your local council.

The first signs of antifreeze poisoning can start to show very soon after it’s been ingested and can ultimately lead to kidney failure.
If you think your pets may have come in contact with antifreeze or any other chemical or substance that should not be ingested, or if you see any of the following symptoms, don’t hesitate. The quicker you get them to the vet, the better.

  • Obvious pain
  • Sleepy, drunk like, uncoordinated
  • Fits / seizures
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Vomiting
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased urination